Saturday, February 15, 2014

The ups (and downs) of weight loss

Anyone who has ever lost weight knows that there are ups and downs (pun intended). You feel great. You look great. Clothes look better. All good stuff. But, there are a few negatives in there. One of them is outgrowing many of your clothes. As someone who has gone up and down the weight roller coaster over the years but someone who insists on buying high quality clothes, I have a lot of expensive and good quality, classic items at a variety of sizes from 2 to 10 (yikes). The great news is that for the last year I have been down comfortably at a 6 or 4. But now, with new energy and excitement, I am down to a solid 4 ... sometimes even a 2. And I have more to lose. And recently I have started losing weight in different ways. Clothes that seemed to fit at one weight now don't at the exact same weight. Weird.

All in all, it is all really really a good problem to have. But ... after doing a little fashion show for my mom last night, it was obvious that out of my 12 skirts, FIVE of them are just ridiculously big on me. Like, silly big. Another 2-4 are good for now ... but won't be good in another 5-10 pounds (which I have every intention of losing). And a few will be good for another 5 pounds or so after that. 

But what does that me for 5 of my favorite skirts? It means goodbye. Sad. Three J. Crew No. 2 pencil skirts ($60-100 each) and another 2 Banana Republic skirts with the cutest little ruffle down one side (another $50 or so each). Sad. That's a lot of money that went away with all those pounds and calories. 

Again, a good problem to have, but still a problem.

What kills me is that I didn't even get a chance to wear some of them! I saw them in my closet everyday but kept thinking "oh, I'm not quite there yet, maybe in another few pounds". Well, when I finally thought they would be good, they were huge. Darn. Fail.

Mostly I am a skirts and dresses kinda gal. I own one pair of nice work slacks. Same thing happened with those. I wore them ONCE (as in ... ONCE) and they were good, but a little tight. So I put them away and said "in another few pounds. Pulled them out again to try on and they are, of course, silly big. I am going to get one more wear out of them next week, but that's it.

Seriously.

I'm off to buy skirts now. And pants. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment